So, unbelievably, I am now into my last week of school! I cannot quite get over what a whirlwind this past year has been. As I strongly believe making lists is partly responsible for getting me through it, I thought I would make another few lists to reflect on the year.
Things I have achieved:
- I am qualifying as ‘excellent’
- I still absolutely love teaching
- I have got a job in a school and a department I love and cannot wait to join as a fully fledged member of staff rather than a trainee
- I have had two fantastic mentors who have supported me throughout, allowed me to take risks in the classroom and one who has become a great friend
Things I have learnt (This list could be endless but for everybody’s sake I have limited myself to five points):
- The importance of giving every child a clean state no matter how much they irritated me the previous lesson
- The power of regular marking
- The impact of welcoming my students at the door with a smile and a ‘good morning/afternoon’
- The importance of building positive working relationships with my students – this makes my day so much brighter
- The necessity to drink tea, eat chocolate and laugh at times when I just want to cry/scream/sleep
Things that petrify me for the following year:
- Being wholly accountable for my classes
- The five period day I will have on a Monday
- Sleeping through my alarm on said Monday
- Data, data, data!
Whilst I intend to enjoy every free moment of the summer, I am so excited for September to become fully settled in my department as a NQT – and even more excited for the end of September when I finally start getting paid for this teaching malarkey!